Friday, June 12, 2009

Becoming a Canner!

I had my first experience with canning on Tuesday. I have a neighbor who I walk with weekly and she is a canning machine. So she is going to teach me everything I don't know about canning. (which right now, is very little, actually I know nothing!- about canning that is.)

I started off pretty easy (at least I thought so).


On my way home from Yakima, we stopped at a fruit/veggie stand and I bought 20 lbs. of asparagus for $16.99 (that's .85 cents a lb.) pretty good deal!


And the canning began.


We filled each jar with a HUGE clove of garlic, one tsp. of dill weed, one tsp. of red pepper flakes, asparagus, brine (which consisted of 4 cups vinegar, 4 cups water, and I think 1/2 cup of canning salt). And then gave them a water bath (basically let water boil over the closed and sealed jars for 10 min.) and then they were done. Pretty simple! I think I like canning...

The finished product!



Next I will be canning peaches, tuna (which I am the most excited about), stewed tomatoes and pepper jelly. :)

1 comment:

Miller Racing Family said...

I loved canned veggies and fruit, however like you I know nothing about how to do it. I might just have to ask my mom to teach me. We love homemade jellies, pickles, tomatoes and green beans.
Thanks for giving me some motivation today.
Have you started the Love Dare yet?