One of my all time favorite Christmas songs is 'Last Christmas' by Wham. I worked in a retail store when I was 16 and every time it came on during the Christmas season I would get all giddy. Now when I hear it, I still love it, but it brings back a whole different set of memories.
Going back about 7 yrs. ago, I had just transferred to a new role within the same company I am still working for and it was about two weeks before Christmas. They already had a Christmas dinner planned and were so kind enough to invite the new kid on the block (I wasn't new to the company, but brand new to this center).
They said I could bring a date, and since I was newly single I brought a gal pal along with me because I knew NO ONE who was going to be at this Christmas party.
We were also asked to bring a white elephant gift. And I just happened to win a record (yes an old fashioned record) of Wham's Last Christmas, and I may have stole it from my new boss who also wanted it! *wink*
So my girlfriend and I go to this fancy little restaurant and enjoy ourselves a little too much, and I may have had one too many Mohitos, and then I may have begged my new boss to go to this 80s dance club, which he politely declined, and then I may have around midnight put the new record of Last Christmas on my friends record player and call up my brand new boss and sing at the top of my lungs:
"last Christmas, I gave you my heart, and the very next day, you gave it away, this year, to save me from tears I'll give it to someone special....." And on and on and on I went, singing almost the entire song on his voicemail.
Let's just say when Monday rolled around, I hung my head oh so low and I was just the tiniest bit scared of maybe losing my job.
But.... Lucky for me, my boss was very cool and we ended up becoming the best of friends, and our "wham" memory is our little inside joke that gets repeated almost every Christmas when I call his VM and leave him the same message of me singing 'Last Christmas' (by the way, he kept my original VM for almost an entire year on his phone to use as blackmail. LOL)
So I hope you enjoyed my (long) story and enjoy some of my favorite Christmas songs. I love, love, love the Mariah Carey song too- It is played at the end of Love Actually and is sung by that rockin little girl to her drummer boy- LOVE that movie!
So any of you have some funny Christmas party stories? I am dying to hear!


8 comments:
Oh Michelle, can't you just enjoy Thanksgiving. I have tried oh so hard over the years to get you to focus on all holidays. I will be enjoying Christmas with you at 12:01 on Friday morning. Love you!!
Love the Christmas playlist. The Christmas music is coming on in our house as it is time to get the Christmas decor up.
Now my favorite Christmas song is,"Go tell it on the mountain."
Happy Thanksgiving, Michelle!
I freakin LOVE that song!
I LOVE your playlist...and that story is a hoot. LOL. Makes me laugh. I have a few good Christmas party stories, but all too long to leave in a comment. My cousin Kristen loves to impersonate Rachel Ray when she's had a few too many...it's way funny...I have a blackmail video, it's even better than a blackmail VM! LOL =) I'm getting so excited for Christmas!!! I should have all of my decor up by the end of the week. I need to make a Christmas playlist and get some stuff downloaded to my iPhone.
Hope you have a wonderful day!♥
Ok now I'm in a Christmas mood & I have to make Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow! :)
I love that song too!!
That is a great story. I love how he kept the voicemail for a year!
Great playlist!
I just wanted to let you know that I have some metal New Moon keychains and I drew your name out of my commenters. So if you would like it, email me your address and I will send it to you. Congratulations!
XOXO
Jen
That is completely hilarious my dear! I can't believe you did that!
Post a Comment